What's measured improves. - Peter Drucker
The mobile Web needs to improve. Tests like the WCT are designed to measure the 'Web compatibility' of the mobile browser. The Acid2 & Acid3 tests offer similar metrics that do not aim to point out Web shortcomings on mobiles, like the WCT does.
- Useful CSS function for smaller screens
- Good graphics support is the cornerstone of the Web
- Compression saves money on typical mobile data plans
- HTTPS has been a problem area on mobile browsers
- So too have been cookies
- Interesting to know if XHTML is supported for legacy applications
- Good to have Web 2.0 AJAX applications working
- Scalable Graphics are of special relevance to mobile screens
- CSS media queries is how author should adapt content if they require
- Inputmode tests for a form feature to enter number easily
- Dynamic scalable graphics is also great to have
- Test for typical problem area of IDNs
- Testing for events
- Canvas helps enables games on mobiles
- Contenteditable allows in line editing, which might help content generation
- Powerful CSS3 selectors allow flexibility for style sheets
Some tests might not be relevant any more that could be removed. And likewise new tests can be added. We are open to suggestions!
Notice how the test indicates with a green square if the test passes. Unlike the Acid2 test, we hope to demonstrate from a mobile browser the quality of the browser. It might pass some tests and fail some others. The tests have been ordered relatively in order of difficulty, though it is fair to say: the more green squares the better.
For example my current mobile phone, the:
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.0; en-gb; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2"
T-mobile G1 scores 9/16 on version 1.42 of the test. Do ensure you have the UA string, version of the test alongside your score please.
Unfortunately there are many more mobiles that can't even reach the WCT in
order measure how well it performs on the Web! So just by visiting the WCT
http://xrl.us/bmqox you are on the right path to improving the Web.
Share the score, UA string and test version and together lets improve the mobile Web!