Fixing Hotel TV
Connecting a laptop to a Hotel TV can be a bad UX, why?
Published: Sunday, Jul 4, 2021 Last modified: Friday, May 12, 2023
What’s wrong with this picture?
- It’s cropped aka overscanned
- Fonts rendering looks awful on the 1080p SMART TV
Fixing the crop
- Try reconnect port to PC/DVI port
- Disable overscan, however your TV Remote will probably not allow you to change this setting
Fixing the legibility of text on a TV
- Can you up the sharpness? Probably not.
- Pixel density probably prohibits fine text
TVs also tend to mess around with the colours / compression / scaling and ultimately it’s a huge chore to turn it off. Your hotel remote probably will not have the option even to change such settings!
There are some workarounds, but Hotel TVs probably won’t allow you to adjust these settings.
Don’t rely on a TV for doing any work.